forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:51:48 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 18:35, Clay Leeds wrote:

>>>Project Specific Customizations? Use case Docbook Customization Layers.
>>
>>I'm assuming that this would mean forrest would use the 'default'
>>plugin (stored in 'forrest/plugins' or whatever the structure is),
>>unless a local project-specific customized version of the plugin is
>>available.
>>
>>But why not specify the location of the 'project-specific' plugin in
>>forrest.properties?
 >
 > Yes. Default is always to use the forrest installation.

We cannot go extending forrest.properties for every plugin. The file
would become very difficult to maintain. Better to have the plugins
define a standard location they expect to find a config file within the
plugin directory - most likely the root folder. So configs would be
openOffice.org.conf.xml and docbook.conf.xml.

> However if pre-processing finds project sitemap.xmap that defines plugins it
> will look for definition of installed plugins and use configurations provided
> by the project rather than the installation. If it does not find this then it
> defaults to installation.
>
> In the case of the Docbook plug-in only the custom layers will be installed to
> the project.

OK, I agree with this, no duplication of content that can be found in
the plugin itself.

> Again, for Docbook, I always assume that the Docbook sources are for
> publishing to multiple formats using a traditional Docbook toolchain, and one
> of these formats is XHTML that forrest will be able to skin.

What about all the other formats that Forrest produces (or may product
in the future), e.g. PDF, PS, RTF, POD, text etc?

> The hardwork is
> done in the Docbook XSL's using methods well documented in the community.
> Forrest just needs to know how to read the XHTML produced. I believe Ross may
> be able to help there.

I'll come to this in another message.

Ross