forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:53:48 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:
>

>>Sean Wheller wrote:

>>>I don't believe so. We need to devise a way to skin any output that
>>
>>originates
>>
>>>from the transformations provided by another framework.
>>
>><snip/>
>>
>>>CSS can do the formatting under forrest skinned site, as it does today.
>>
>>Again,
>>
>>>most projects already have CSS, so it's just a case of "cascading" to
>>
>>include
>>
>>>the framework specific CSS for formatting of the body. A forrest plugin
>>
>>would
>>
>>>therefore extended forrest core to provide the configurations and
>>>customizations required in order that output from a base framework may be
>>>piped into forrest.
>>>
>>>When XSL's don't exist for the base frameworks the plugin will provide
>>
>>XSL's.
>>
>>>Does anyone think this can work?
>>
>>In the past I have looked at the Docbook XSL and decided it is way to
>>big and too complex to try and integrate into the skins since many
>>people would not be using it. However, life would be much easier now
>>with the ability to extend CSS through skinconf.xml and the plugin
>>architecture.
>>
>>At present there is no way of a plugin adding information to a skin. I
>>suspect that you would need to be able to do this in order to provide
>>full Docbook support. I think I know how we could do it, I'll look at it
>>with you if/when you reach this point.
>>
>>Ross
>>

> Do you mean skinconf values per-plugin?

Yes

> See FOR-144 (including the discussion linked from there) about a new skinconf
> format.  I think for output format plugins to work best, we will need to
> implement that first.
>
> Making this change will also require a backwards compatibility translator, and
> modifying our current skins to use the new skinconf names/values.

Ahhh yes, I vaguely remember getting lost in the middle of that thread.
I suspect this is why I wrote "I *think* ... I'll look at it with you
if/when...". My subconcious must have been telling me there was
something not right about what I was planning.

I agree this needs resolving.

So, Sean, can you provide a simple sample output from a typical Docbook
tranformed into XHTML using the stylesheets. This will help me
understand if the problems I envision are really there or not
(unrecognised CSS styles that the skins must be extended in order to
handle).

Ross