forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:20:50 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>If the stuff you need is not under a compatible license then we need to
>>think of an alternative. In this case I think it would be OK to have an
>>ANT script download the requirements and install them (with relevant
>>license agreements). However, before we do this we will have to check
>>with someone who knows the legal situation better than I.
>

> I will try, though IANAL. For anything that is distributed
> by Forrest as a release or via SVN, we can only include stuff
> as long as its license is no more restrictive than the
> Apache License.
>
> We could provide an automated fetch mechanism to retrieve
> and install stuff from remote sites. It is my understanding
> that the responsibility is then shifted onto our user.
> However, for certain remote resources it may be a requirement
> for our application to show the license to the user.

This would not be a problem, we can simply call an ant target "install"
within a plugin build.xml file to do such configuration.

> I am tempted to say that they would need to configure their
> plugin to point to their own installed resources. People who
> use DocBook as their source format would already have the
> DocBook DTDs and XSLs installed somewhere and be up-to-date
> for the particular version that they use.

This assumes that the author publisher of the Docbook files is also the
author of them, which may not be the case.

I suppose if they are simply publishing them then there is no need to
validate them, in which case there is no need to have the schemas.
Therefore, if the plugin does not download the DTD's then the default
behaviour should be to not validate. If the user turns on validation
then they should be expected to download the DTD's and configure the
plugin accordingly. We could even have the plugin auto download and
install if the user does not do this configuration.

This seems like a nice compromise to me ;-)

Ross