forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:07:28 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 04:11, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>How would Forrest be able to skin these files if it does not conform to
>>the internal structure of Forrest. All we could do would be to embed the
>>output XHTML, we would lose all skinning features. Since the whole point
>>of Forrest is to produce consistent output from various input formats
>>wouldn't this method prevent Forrest from achieving it's goals?
>

> I don't believe so. We need to devise a way to skin any output that originates
> from the transformations provided by another framework.

<snip/>

> CSS can do the formatting under forrest skinned site, as it does today. Again,
> most projects already have CSS, so it's just a case of "cascading" to include
> the framework specific CSS for formatting of the body. A forrest plugin would
> therefore extended forrest core to provide the configurations and
> customizations required in order that output from a base framework may be
> piped into forrest.
>
> When XSL's don't exist for the base frameworks the plugin will provide XSL's.
>
> Does anyone think this can work?

In the past I have looked at the Docbook XSL and decided it is way to
big and too complex to try and integrate into the skins since many
people would not be using it. However, life would be much easier now
with the ability to extend CSS through skinconf.xml and the plugin
architecture.

At present there is no way of a plugin adding information to a skin. I
suspect that you would need to be able to do this in order to provide
full Docbook support. I think I know how we could do it, I'll look at it
with you if/when you reach this point.

Ross