forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Scaling images (was Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-264) forrest seed does not create the resources folder)
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:07:40 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
<snip/>
>> Would it make sense to have some system to separate images based on
>> resolution (or output target) due to the fact that PDF output warrants
>> higher resolution images for printing?
>

> Multi-resolution source images? Cool.

<snip/>

> Alternatively Cocoon can be used to scale down the image where needed.
> We could specify a max-width for web pages.

Yes, Clay and I discussed this a little a while back in the context of
embedded OpenOffice.org images. We decided that it would be best to have
a Cocoon generator that could scale the images. Problem is, neither of
us has built a generator before, nor have we checked to see if one
exists yet.

I really don't want to have to go managing multiple image resources when
I don't need to.

>> Thoughts? Eventually, I'd like to come up with a solution to the
>> 'screenshot' dilemma, where if a screenshot is too wide for the page,
>> Cocoon/Forrest would shrink it to fit a default size (640x480,
>> 800x600, or 1024x768, etc.), but provide a link/fork to view the
>> full-size image.
>

> I have the same problem with SVG (source and pnged), we could use a
> similar system.

Clay did make a suggestion that seemed to work when we were discussing
the above, but I can't find it in the archives right now - Clay can you
find it/remember it?

Ross