forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Updated: (FOR-322) Support Docbook V4.3
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:49:50 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> I have a new version of docbook2document.xsl in the mix. Faster, better,
> simpler and yet with more comprehensive cover of Docbook elements include the
> new ones in Docbook V4.3. Hope you guys don't mind?

Well this is the purpose of the plugin framework, if someone needs
functionality that doesn't belong in the core Forrest distribution a
plugin is where it goes. The end functionality (should) be the same. I
say should as there are only two simple test cases at present.

> I will submit it once it is more complete and I have tested it more throughly
> and provide a test document with it.
 >
>>So, if you decide to put it in the distribution that is fine by me, but
>>I would prefer in the medium to long term to create a docbook plugin.
>

> I agree with Ross that the plugin route is better in the long term. However, I
> see that many people will need to make the switch. I think, for a period, we
> will need to support both methods.

No need to support both methods. The end user need make no changes to
their existing projects as the default behaviour of Forrest will be to
download any plugins that add functionality that is stripped from a
released version of Forrest. Only new projects will exclude plugins they
do not need. In other words the "switch" is fully automatic.

Fancy working on putting it in a plugin? I will help.

Ross