forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: How do I create OpenOffice.org Forrest:* styles?
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:08:11 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, but the fact that Open Office
>>will no longer open your file does not sound good with respect to the
>>correctness of your modified Open Office document.
>

> This is the sort of thing that worries me about enabling
> these other formats as sources for Forrest. It will be
> Forrest that gets blamed for the almost un-intelligible
> messages that Cocoon is forced to spew out.
>
> I suppose we can always add FAQs about such things.
>
> It is also of concern that we might get dragged into
> user help situations about those formats. We will need
> good defense against a certain infamous word processor.
>
> One defense would be to have very good example documents
> in our seed site. That way we can simply say "go compare
> with the xxxx-v11.sxw file".

It'd be ideal if our error messages pointed people at the *real*
problem.  If we said something like

"Cocoon Error:
Could not validate document ..../file.sxw

This is an OpenOffice.org .sxw file that is probably not formatted
properly.  Please make sure this file is formatted correctly and compare
it with the example in the 'forrest seed' site"

This notes that the problem is coming from Cocoon (although that doesn't
really help the end-user, I guess).  And if we intercept the error
message to give context-sensitive help (for jspwiki, OO.org, etc)

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming