forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Test Zone for new Forrest Sample Site
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:28:25 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a test site that will eventually be hosted at
> http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za. All content except the FAQ's are Docbook 4.3.
>
> The test zone URL is http://www.inwords.co.za/site/index.html
>
> Please check the courses section to see an example of the problem with
> XInclude.

I'm afraid I cannot address the problem you are having with XIncludes,
but I do have a useful suggestion. First a little background:

Some time ago I tried to do exactly what you were doing, that is
XInclude content in course materials. I wanted to reuse content from one
course in another (I guess this is what you are doing). I ran into many
limitiations of the XInclude handling in Cocoon itself and eventually
dropped the whole thing for cut and paste and careful management
(deadlines and all that).

Some time later I recieved a grant from IBM to build a system for
building learning objects. This project (http://www.burrokeet.org) is
now around half way through and is starting to produce real results. One
of which will be of grat help to you.

As you know I have been working on a plugin system for Forrest. The
first plugin I have built for this replaces site.xml and tabs.xml with
an IMSManifest file (this is the equivalent of site.xml for a SCORM1.2
learning object). One of the functions of this plugin is that you can
include content from one content object in another.

Now, this is alpha code and has some problems (i.e. there is some
hardcoded path information in the XMaps and xsl), however, it does work.
I have used it for all the courses I have developed and we use it within
Burrokeet itself.

So, my advice to you would be forget XInclude and use this new plugin (
I am hoping to merge the branch with trunk tomorrow). There is even a
graphical editor you can use to create your IMSManifest :-).

Ross