forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Apache Forrest 0.6
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:43:50 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> David Crossley said:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-235
>>>"Cannot use Ctrl-C to shutdown demo forrest run with jdk1.3"
>>>... at least for me on Linux. Do others have this too?
>>>
>>>Our options:
>>>A) Ignore it and tell 1.3 people to grapple with 'ps' and 'kill -9'.
>>>
>>>B) Raise our minimum Java level to 1.4 and tweak the docs.
>>>
>>>C) Try to find the reason for this. Is it our packaged Jetty config?
>>
>>I grepped the Internet and found a message from our Pier
>>about something similar:
>>
>>"Note, shutdown hooks don't get triggered on JDK-1.3
>>when CTRL-C is pressed on the console"
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108972345629182
>>
>>So we can forget option C).
>>

> (pulling out the ol' 'lower requirements benefits most users unless
> there's a specific need' trumpet)
>
> I'd 'vote' for option A).

For the Eclipse plugin I need to change the way we are starting Forrest
as I need to be able to cleanly shutdown Jetty from an Eclipse action. I
am experimenting with different options at the moment, but how does this
sound for a fix in 0.6.1:

"forrest run" - starts the server using the jetty start.jar
"forrest stop" - stops the server using the jetty stop.jar

Ross