forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Advice on managing branches
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:17:32 GMT
As you have probably realised I have a branch for the sitemap-plugins.
As a result of a mail from Sean Wheller
(http://issues.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=dev@forrest.apache.org&msgNo=14296)

I am considering whether or not I should merge the changes from trunk
into the branch. Sean says:

"The diff between trunk and the sitemap-plugins is huge. It seams that
the branch is drifting far away from the trunk.... This increases the
likely hood that use of the standard svn switch dev method
will not work."

However, I am not sure that this is the case. The branch works, although
Sean is experiencing problems wehn doind a switch, but not when doing a
co of the branch (we haven't got to the root cause yet of this yet). I
have been watching commits to trunk, the only changes appear to be skin
and documentation changes which have no direct affect on the branch.

So, the question I want to ask is this. Should I bother merging the
changes in trunk into the branch at this stage. I am particularly
concerned about this because of the number of svn commit messages this
will generate that will be of no value to devs.

Advice please...

Ross