forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Release plan for 0.6
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:39:26 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Well the current trunk is looking good, so it
> it is time to get ready for release. Let us develop
> a simple release plan. We already have the procedure
> well-documented at etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt
>
> Some items for discussion ...
>
> * We do not need to have separate "binary" and "source"
> because 'build dist' packages all the source and adds the
> 'xml-forrest.jar'. So the release tarballs would be
> called apache-forrest-0.6.tar.gz and apache-forrest-0.6.zip

+1

A mention of this in readme.txt or index.html would be good.

> * The version of Cocoon-2.2 that we have in our current
> trunk is working fine. We could wait until after the
> Cocoon GetTogether because they will fix stacks of
> things at the Hackathon. However, it is my view that
> this could delay our release as we would need to do
> more testing at Forrest.

Things work fine now, let's stay as-is.  We can make a 0.6.1 release
with a new cocoon version if necessary.

> * We discussed a few months ago that we do not need
> to go through the process of "release candidates"
> -RC1 -RC2 etc. We can always make a 0.6.1 release.

yep

> * How should we test the release tarballs? Each person
> can do 'build dist' on their own machine and make sure
> that it unpacks correctly and then test. For example
> the *.zip on my machine reports problems.

We should all test from the same .zip and .tar.gz files.  E.g. I
generate the .zip on my windows box and upload it somewhere and have
everyone test that.  Then that one would be the one we use for the release.

Or, if we each make one, we should compare md5sums to make sure that
we're dealing with exactly the same stuff.  This actually is probably
better so we don't have to upload & download the whole thing.

>                       ----0----
> So here is the start of a plan. Please refine.
>
> 2004-10-08
> Code freeze. Specify an SVN revision number to work with.
> Still can change any documentation.
> Send the Vote email (Apache Forrest PMC needs to approve).
> Testing period lasts for 7 days.
>
> 2004-10-14
> The Vote finishes today. Start preparing the release.
> Total freeze. Tag. Branch.

Each dev should sign the .tar.gz and .zip files.  Concatenate all the
signatures together into the .asc files used in the release.

> 2004-10-15
> Release. Send announcement email when mirrors are up-to-date.

Sounds good.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming