forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help FOR-308
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:31:24 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2004, at 12:48 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> One of the things being tried out that this new copyless behaviour has
>> enabled is the creation of Forrest plugins. I recently started a
>> branch to explore this aspect. The idea is to simplify the core
>> Forrest sitemaps by stripping out all the non-essential stuff like the
>> docbook support. INstead we will have a docbook plugin.
>>
>> This is *very* early stage work, but if, when you feel comfortable
>> enough, you fancy helping me extract the docbook stuff into a plugin
>> that would be a very good test of the system.
>>
>> Ross
>

> I understand the OOo support would move to this plugin as well. I like
> the idea of having all of the OOo/DocBook/whatever things in one
> convenient place. Should make it easier to get in and make
> modifications, if necessary.

Yes, OOo support is the first I want to move, mainly because I have a
number of enhancements to it (for example Impress support) but my app is
somewhat out of sync with the current Forrest HEAD, so I have to do some
work there anyway.

> For example, I'd like to see Forrest be able to take a .sxw file with
> *embedded* pictures, and output the appropriate HTML & PDF files.

Actually, that is one of the enhancements I have made - care to help me
do the plugin?

> The
> HTML files would take screenshots and 'shrink' images down to a max size
> for placement on a page (e.g., max WIDTHxHEIGHT=640x480--user
> configurable, of course), and if the image is larger, provide a
> jump-link (configurable) to the image. The PDF would embed the highest
> resolution available for the image, but would also shrink it to 'fit' on
> the page.

Not that advanced yet, but embedded images do work in a basic way.

Ross