forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help FOR-308
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:48:55 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2004 16:12, David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Sean Wheller wrote:
>><snip/>
>>
>>>Perhaps this has something to do with "linkrewriter" can really say since
>>>so may things impact on the document as it goes through the pipe and I
>>>have not fully understood pipes after the transform to forrest format.
>>
>>I hope that getting so deep at first visit
>>is not putting you off.
>>
>>What we have been trying to achieve with this recent
>>DocBook effort has caused exploration of the complex
>>core sitemaps.
>>
>>In Forrest development we have only recently reached
>>a stage where we finally stop copying resources and now
>>use them in-place. Perhaps the sitemaps can soon be
>>rationalised too.
>

> If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. No, it is actually a nice
> challenge. I understand that forrest is still evolving in some places. This
> is what makes it interesting. I may be a bit lost, but if you guys can bare
> with me then I don't see a problem getting to a point where I can start
> adding greater value.
>
> I expect that most of my effort will will be in the area of docbook to start
> with. As I become more comfortable with the environment I will move into
> improving the docs. On systems such as forrest I only like to contribute docs
> when I have a technical understanding.

One of the things being tried out that this new copyless behaviour has
enabled is the creation of Forrest plugins. I recently started a branch
to explore this aspect. The idea is to simplify the core Forrest
sitemaps by stripping out all the non-essential stuff like the docbook
support. INstead we will have a docbook plugin.

This is *very* early stage work, but if, when you feel comfortable
enough, you fancy helping me extract the docbook stuff into a plugin
that would be a very good test of the system.

Ross