forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [Important] please test the release candidate
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:55:46 GMT
On Oct 11, 2004, at 9:24 PM, David Crossley wrote:
> Download the release candidate and supporting files:
> apache.org /~brondsem/forrest/0.6-rc5/
>
> Compiled with Java 1.3 from SVN r54198
> For Windows get *.zip md5sum 33d8de744ce6150aac0c18c85a65e803
> For UNIX get *.tar.gz md5sum c1a9ee2e6c604c62933a39234ba8dabe
> Get the *.asc and *.md5 that match your chosen download.

matches (used the .zip version)

> If you want to verify the download, then follow:
> http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#verify
>
> Otherwise just get on with testing.
>
> Here are some hints:
> * Ensure that the compressed archive will unpack properly.
> * Follow the README.txt and index.html
> * Set environment variables.
> * Don't worry too much about minor bugs. We are looking
> for blockers, such as it will not run. Many known issues
> are recorded at our Jira, perhaps you can add more.
>
> * Make a fresh site ...
> cd my-new-dir
> forrest seed

Works!

> forrest

Works!

> forrest run

Works!

> forrest war ... and try with your Jetty or Tomcat

Didn't check this.

> * Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
> cd apache-forrest-0.6
> forrest run

Works!

> * Forrest was already pre-build. Try building it again.
> cd apache-forrest-0.6
> build
> build test

Didn't test this.

> * Try it on your own project, especially if you have
> a project sitemap.
> --
> David Crossley

Tested with Barcode4J web site. Noticed that <jump/> links don't spawn
a new window (as I'd thought they did). At first I thought that was
only true for /forrest run/, but it appears when using /forrest/ as
well.
NOTE: Could this be related to their old skinconf.xml file? I intend to
update it with the newer version (with the external DTD), but haven't
gotten around to it yet.

BTW on a side note, I've never really played with /forrest run/ before
(I always just do /forrest/)... It's really nifty! I really like the
way I can modify src *.xml file, and see the change immediately! Wow!
I'm impressed. Never again will I wile away waiting for 2-6 minutes for
each minor change... :-)

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>