forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [RT] How to move the skins into a plugin? Plans for leather-dev/corium
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:48:42 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hello devs,
> I have not really had a deep look into our new plugin mechanism but I
> really like the idea of having atomic parts in forrest. Maybe
> everything that follows is not possible yet but I reckon that it will
> be. ;-)
> The idea is to move the skins into a plugin like the OpenOffice.org
> plugin. BTW I reckon we have to capsulate the pdf into a plugin for its
> own. IMO it should be not in the skin. IMO this part will need some
> loving care in the future. ;-) I reckon we can call it fo-plugin.
> The skin-plugin should be the main plugin for all skin related issues.
> It is what I would refer to as top level plugin that can host
> different sub-plugins. This way it should be possible to reuse our
> skin-functinality even better and more efficient.

First, I have to say, that as a Forrest user, this is all very
exciting! As an FOP developer, this also excites me in other ways (the
ability to customize the FO output more easily being one example.

One other thing I've longed for, is to apply some of the skin elements
applied to the actual PDF documents (I think the current PDF output
tends to be bland). I had intended to 'improve' the PDF output, to
include some branding, borders, and possibly other embellishments and
glyphs (instead of just white). Of course, I guess each person has
his/her own idea of what is an improvement.

This is exciting territory!

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>