forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: forrest.apache.org/build.html
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:20:24 GMT
On Wednesday 27 October 2004 23:00, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Yes we need to update the building from SVN page.  I will do that now.
>
> The 0.6 upgrade documentation is ok because that applies to 0.6, not SVN.
>
> Looking around, there are documents that talk about files like
> "forrest/src/core/context/skins".  In cases like this, the SVN version
> starts out "forrestcore" and the release versions start
> "apache-forrest-0.6" (possibly renamed to just "forrest").  I think we
> should have more consistency.
>
> Should we rename forrestcore to forrest?

Sorry for dropping in like this.

I would like to make a suggestion. Although changes like this do not happen
all that often, when they do they generally need fixing in many places.

Something I do to help make light work of the situation is define a central
database of terms, links etc. that may change and are used frequently
throughout the documents. These are stored as entities and included in
documents by entity reference. All documents with a DocTypeDecl specify the
file as an entity in their subset.

The DocTypeDecl thus looks like this:
<!DOCTYPE preface PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN"
                      "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % globalents SYSTEM "global.ent">
%globalents;
]>

The content of "global.ent" looks like this:
<!ENTITY project-name 'Some Name'>
<!ENTITY project-url 'http://www.somename.com/'>
<!ENTITY project-mail-subscribe 'mailto:??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY project-mail-unsubscribe 'mailto:??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY project-mail-post 'mailto:??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY project-mail-archive 'http://??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY project-svn 'svn://??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY project-svn-trunk 'svn://??.??.??.??/'>
<!ENTITY project-tracker 'http://??.??.??.??'>
<!ENTITY cc 'http://creativecommons.org/'>
<!ENTITY cc-attrib '<ulink
url="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">Attribution-ShareAlike
2.0</ulink>'>

An entity can be included as follows:

<para>The name of the project is &project-name;. The <ulink
url="&project-url;">web site</ulink> is built with Forrest. We have a mailing

In this way I only need update the value of an entity in "global.ent" and the
next time a document that declares and references to it is parsed the new
value is expanded into the document.

Hope this helps. If you think this is a good idea and need help with
implimentation, I  could help while building the Docbook Plugin.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author