forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:19:38 GMT
On Wednesday 27 October 2004 12:01, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> It looks like a picture about how Forrest works today along with the
> plugin system that is being developed.

Yes, except most processing is done by external stylesheets. Note that the
plug-in still has place for stylesheets that are not provided by the external
package. Also note that the Styling for FO is provided by the forrest part of
the plug-in (custom layers.) The advantage being:
1. We need only worry about maintaining the custom layer. Usually much smaller
than the source DTD/XSL. Less work.

2. We can define consistant look and feel in the FO skin. As we get further we
will perhaps have to find an even easier method of maintaining a common cust
layer for all FO transformations, not just Docbook, and manage that in one
place.

3. We inherit all the power of the source package. No need to worry about
XInlcude, Entities, XREF's, OLINK's, GLOSSARY DATABASES, BILIOGRAPHY
DATABASES. The source package does that for us. Well, at least for Docbook,
DITA, and TEI.

4. Source can be managed under a Document Management System (DMS) and output
to Forrest in accordance with the "workflow" of the DMS.

5. Users can use the toolchain provided by the plug-in, or opt for their own.

DOWNSIDE:
1. The Docbook is heavy. It may not be well suited to "servlet."

2. The install download payload is large. We may have to provide the framework
and let users install the package sources on their own. Ideally we would
provide a script in the Docbook Plug-in install that will let the user define
the components for their "Tool Chain." Go get it for them or allow then to
specify locations of existing "Tool Chain." With Docbook this could be many
components including MathML, SVG extensions, Slides etc.
--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author