forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:51:39 GMT
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 01:13, Ross Gardler wrote:
> This could be made to work, but it does not deal with clashes between
> class names in stylesheets. We could avoid these by prefacing forrest
> classes with "forrest.", but we'll worry about that if it becomes a
> problem.

Yes, you're right it does not deal with clashes. I was also thinking about
pre-pending current classes though I thought that just "for" was enough, but
then I always try to make things shorter than they should be.

> So it seems that the major hurdles of handling XHTML are pretty much
> covered (apart from all the stuff I've missed ;-))
>
> My next problem with doing it this way is how do we generate other
> output from the XHTML, i.e. PDF, RTF etc. I believe I raised this in
> another message in this same thread so if you already answered no need
> to answer again.

In the case of Docbook, the transformation to PDF, RTF, PS is via XSL:FO. The
stylesheets for fo are already in the Docbook distribution and FOP is already
in Forrest. Again, use the FO from the Docbook stylesheets and pass it to
FOP. For now we will assume that we are transforming a complete book. Later
we will use functions already available in Docbook to transforms smaller
granularity. Let's keep it simple for now.

The other thing is to try use Saxon or Xalan, as this is forrest I think we
need to use Xerces and Xalan. My custom stylesheets call to extensions, these
extensions are also a part of the Docbook stylesheet distribution. I
especially call fop.extensions. There is much that FOP does not handle, this
extension helps to smooth life with a better output result and less errors
during transforms. IOW, it's faster.

We will then come back to the XInclude problem, but this time I have a
solution. We will switch the Xerces XInclude mechanism ON and not rely on the
Cocoon patchy implimentation thereof. Let's get that far and then discuss
POD, WIKI, DVI, TXT, etc

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author