forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:37:15 GMT
On Monday 25 October 2004 18:35, Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Sean Wheller wrote:
> > On Monday 25 October 2004 18:03, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >> Are you suggesting plugins should be installed in the individual
> >> project
> >> directory? This is not currently supported as it would lead to
> >> duplication of code. Since the plugin "belongs" to Forrest why would
> >> it
> >> even be installed in the project?
> >
> > Project Specific Customizations? Use case Docbook Customization Layers.
>
> I'm assuming that this would mean forrest would use the 'default'
> plugin (stored in 'forrest/plugins' or whatever the structure is),
> unless a local project-specific customized version of the plugin is
> available.
>
> But why not specify the location of the 'project-specific' plugin in
> forrest.properties?

Yes. Default is always to use the forrest installation.

However if pre-processing finds project sitemap.xmap that defines plugins it
will look for definition of installed plugins and use configurations provided
by the project rather than the installation. If it does not find this then it
defaults to installation.

In the case of the Docbook plug-in only the custom layers will be installed to
the project. All resolving is done by catalog. All parameters and
customizations are passed to the docbook transformations by the project
specific custom layers (XSL Stylesheets).

I envision that the XHTML input received by the forrest pipes will be fully
resolved. IOW, even external references between files will be resolved in the
XHTML. This means that a complete transformation to XHTML must be done before
passing to forrest. In this way external docbook glossary, bibliographies,
and olink databases can be supported.

Again, for Docbook, I always assume that the Docbook sources are for
publishing to multiple formats using a traditional Docbook toolchain, and one
of these formats is XHTML that forrest will be able to skin. The hardwork is
done in the Docbook XSL's using methods well documented in the community.
Forrest just needs to know how to read the XHTML produced. I believe Ross may
be able to help there.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author