forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:39:38 GMT
On Monday 25 October 2004 11:43, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>If you favor to use the simplest thing, in this case it's simpler not to
> >>deviate from preceding behaviour.
> >
> > Hmmm. Even now I find myself drilling down to get to pieces. Whethe ryou
> > use a GUI or shell the shorter the paths the easier is is to remember the
> > map of the project and sources.
> I understand your point, do you understand mine? A shorter path is
> definately not more important than code decisions.

> >>-1 It simply does not make sense. A framework is something used to build
> >>upon (IOW white box), while a plugin is the exact opposite.
> >
> > Yes, and build upon it we do.
> No we don't. We *use* it, not build upon it. *We* drive DocBook, not the
> other way around. I think you don't understand how the word 'framework'
> is commonly used in our context.

I'm suggesting that the perception may need to change when one considers the
plug-in architecture.

1. I would envisage that everything that defines a markup vocab and
transformation will move out of forrest back to their own realms.
2. I would advocate that forrest not have an internal XML format for content
storage. Let somebody else do that.
3. Let the user decide on which format they want to store information.
4. Let forrest know how to use this content class through the plug-in
architecture, and plug-in adaptor.
5. Concentrate on forrests ability to take XHTML output from a plug-in, skin
it and make it accessible.

IMHO, this make forrest far more powerful. The power of forrest should be in
being able to read an XHTML string, skin it using powerful skins and
displaying information. As you say KISS.

Sean Wheller
Technical Author

View raw message