forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:52:44 GMT
On Monday 25 October 2004 09:54, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I disagree. It makes sense to have a resources dir as it makes sense to
> have a src dir for a project. I don't want to mix actual resources with
> conf info.

I thought that the plug-in is a source. I read some discussion about
relocation of the current plugins folder to the source.

I expected the "forrest run" build to create a folder called
forrest/plugins/ . It does not do this at present, but once the folder is
moved to a new home then there will be a need to create the folder in the
project not the forrest installation. At present there is no need to create
the plugin/ in a project unless the project.required.plugins= specifies a
value.

Did I not understand?

> Theorically we could have it the other way around:
>
>   plugins/
>      Docbook/
>         ** all the stuff now in resources
>         FOR-INF/ the configuration files
>
> but it makes it a royal PITA to reference things backwards.

Yes you are right, so why not just put custom layers into the root of the
plugin/[plugin-name]/

> If you favor to use the simplest thing, in this case it's simpler not to
> deviate from preceding behaviour.

Hmmm. Even now I find myself drilling down to get to pieces. Whethe ryou use a
GUI or shell the shorter the paths the easier is is to remember the map of
the project and sources.

> > 2. IMO plug-in is an object that adds a content type class,
> > configuration, and resources to forrest. I would actually change the
> > directory name from plugins to frameworks.
>
> -1 It simply does not make sense. A framework is something used to build
> upon (IOW white box), while a plugin is the exact opposite.

Yes, and build upon it we do. Docbook is not a "black-box". We can build on it
in our own custom layer.
The architecture is layered.

--
Sean Wheller