forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Wheller <s...@inwords.co.za>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Updated: (FOR-322) Support Docbook V4.3
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:36:05 GMT
On Friday 22 October 2004 12:51, Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Sean Wheller wrote:
> >>Will someone please commit this updated issue to HEAD.
> >>
> >>If there is a problem please let me know.
> >
> > I have looked briefly at it and put it on hold
> > because i need to find time to investigate the v4.3 DTDs
> > and ask everyone if we want to include those to our
> > distribution (another Mb swell) or use the new plugins
> > functionality.
> >
> > I tend to think the former at this stage.

Yes. Personally I like to only have one copy of the DTD on my localhost, but
one cannot assume that a person has the DTD installed so the next best thing
is either to get it from the URI or bundle it. Since the function of the
forrest.xcat is to map to localhost paths, I expected that is what the
project would do. To keep down the "swell" perhaps consider depreciating the
oldest version or resolve it to a URI.

> I would vote for creating a Plugin as this is a good test case and Sean
> is actively working on docbook support at the moment. I know Clay is
> also working with the Open Office stuff and I promised to help with that
> first.

Heh, Heh! More like rewriting Docbook support.
I have a new version of docbook2document.xsl in the mix. Faster, better,
simpler and yet with more comprehensive cover of Docbook elements include the
new ones in Docbook V4.3. Hope you guys don't mind?

I will submit it once it is more complete and I have tested it more throughly
and provide a test document with it.

> So, if you decide to put it in the distribution that is fine by me, but
> I would prefer in the medium to long term to create a docbook plugin.

I agree with Ross that the plugin route is better in the long term. However, I
see that many people will need to make the switch. I think, for a period, we
will need to support both methods.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author