forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Solving matching problems caused by plugins
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:54:15 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >>
> >> It mostly works now, but building our own docs and building
> >> the test site shows some other related new bug. I can only
> >> describe the symptoms at this stage ...
> >>
> >> ------ from 'forrest seed site' ...
> >>   <link message="...content/xdocs/samples/ihtml-sample.xml
> >> (No such file or directory)" uri="samples/ihtml-sample.html">
> >>
> >>   <link message="...content/xdocs/samples/wiki-sample.xml
> >> (No such file or directory)" uri="samples/wiki-sample.html">
> >> ------
> >>
> >> ... those two indicate that the special filetype tests
> >> in forrest.xmap at line 234 are not being triggered.
> These should really be extracted to a plugin which will solve the
> problem. I think that the only thing that should be left in Forrest is
> the handling of our intermediate format (this will be plural when we
> move to XHTML2).
> Dues anyone have a problem with that?

I agree with that. Your plan, later in this thread,
sounds good.

My concern here was that the addition of the new
plugins ability yesterday, caused these two bugs.
They might be a pointer to something sinister.

Perhaps it was just the insertion point of the plugins
sitemaps that caused those matches to start being missed.
Or perhaps it *must* take full control and we just need
to proceed with implementation of all of those as plugins.

> >> ------ from 'forrest' on the core docs ...
> >> <link message="...content/xdocs/mirrors.xml
> >> (No such file or directory)" uri="mirrors.html">
> >> ------
> >>
> >> ... that one indicates that the project cli.xconf
> >> is no longer being found, and echo properties
> >> confirms that.
> Where would this normally be processed, I can't seem to find it.

The Cocoon cli.xconf is how extra abilities are configured
for our Cocoon Command-Line Interface CLI, e.g. patterns
to be ignored like "apidocs" and extra docs to be processed
like "mirrors.html". I presume that it is read by Cocoon
at startup.

For some unknown reason, each project cli.xconf started
being ignored and Forrest's core default cli.xconf is used.
'forrest echo-properties' shows the problem. The value
from is not being used. Again that
could be a pointer to some new wider bug.

David Crossley

View raw message