forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: doctype Public Identifier is crucial (Was: Catalog for Docbook Plugin)
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:38 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > If there is no publicIdentifier in the documents
> > > then the guts of Forrest aren't going to know what
> > > type of document it is.
>
> An XML document does not have to contain a DocTypeDecl.

I know that, but Forrest is expecting this
and this requirement is documented.

> > Just making absolutely sure that you did not
> > miss this comment.
> >
> > http://forrest.apache.org/docs/cap.html
> > "SourceTypeAction (content aware pipelines)"
> >
> > Forrest applies different processing depending on the
> > document type. This is determined by the SourceTypeAction
> > in the sitemap. Its primary way of determining the
> > document type of an xml source is to use the Public Identifier.
>
> Yes, I saw that and have no problem with SourceTypeAction.

But it does not detect your docs that do not have publicId.

> I don't see how SourceTypeAction relates to the catalog resolver, does it?

No it doesn't. That is why i assigned a new subject
to this thread.

> Seems to me that cocoon uses sitemaps as interpretted code.
> The "map:action" defines a name and java class to use.
> The "sourcetype" associates a logical name with "document-declaration."
>
> When the file is parsed cocoon can id the "sourcetype" without using resolver.
> When it comes time to use it such as in "map:transform" under a "map:when" the
> logic is that cocoon does not have to use the catalog and immediately knows
> which "sourcetype" exists and what to do with it. The catalog is ignored in
> the logic.

Yes.

> I don't fully agree with this logic since there are times when a document uses
> a SYSTEM and not PUBLIC identifier, but this can be fixed by adding a new
> sourcetype to the sitemap.

Can it? Do you mean by doing some Java coding work
and patching Cocoon? Fine.

Unless the documentation is incomplete, then is no
"available rule" for detecting system-identifier.

--
David Crossley