forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of IMSManifest plugin
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:02:06 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >> As I have mentioned numerous times before, I have a plugin that
> >> replaces  site.xml and tabs.xml with an IMSManifest file. This is a
> >> standard format file for Learning Objects, but is also very useful for
> >> more general content objects.
> >>

> > My only concern is that it would end up unmaintained.  I am not familiar
> > with IMSManifests or Learning Objects, and it seems that it is not a
> > very common tool (yet).  I don't know of anybody here besides you, Ross,
> > that could support it.
>
> It may not be a common tool in your environment, but trust me it is a
> *very* common tool in the world of Learning Objects (or Content Packages
> as many prefer to call them since any kind of training material such as
> documentation can be stored within them). Take a look at any commercial
> Virtual Learning Environment and it will support the IMS standards, of
> course the Open Source ones support it to0 (see http://www.atutor.ca,
> http://www.webct.com. http://www.blackboard.com for three of the most
> commonly found products).
>
> These tools are in use in most Universities and many schools/colleges
> across the world. All can export their content using the IMS standards.
> When exported these Learning Objects  are often stored in repositories
> of such objects for re-use across different domains. This reuse stuff is
> not that widely spread as yet, but it is growing in importance daily.
>
> This plugin is the first step towards making Forrest able to access such
> repositories. It is my belief that this plugin will entice new
> developers and users to Forrest. Those developers will assist with the
> support of the IMSManifest plugin.

I did hear someone else on the list express interest
already, when they realised that it would help with
learning objects. That is a good point about attracting
new developers from that community.

> I am committed to supporting it 100% as are the other members of the
> originating project - although that is not a large community. However, I
> do accept your point that at this point in time, there is only me.
> Fortunately, with the new plugin functionality it really doesn't matter
> if I keep it within the Burrokeet project or bring it here, it will be
> available to Forrest users and devs either way.
>
> If others share your concern, or do not feel this is in keeping with
> Forrests goals I won't be offended, I'm just asking if it is something
> useful here.

It is definitely in scope for Forrest.

Support for all of our code is a valid concern.
Perhaps we should give all such things a chance here.

We could continually monitor the health of plugins
and if they don't get attention, then deprecate them.
The code would still be in our SVN history if someone
later wanted to resurrect them elsewhere.

Incorporating the plugin documentation into our website
would be key to giving plugins a fair go to gather
community.

--
David Crossley