forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build system (was: [proposal] SVN restructure for subprojects)
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:31:03 GMT
 Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi:
>
> > Notice the 'bin' directory where users would think of finding it, as a
> > single thing to add to the system path variable. the trunk would become
> > the new FORREST_HOME
> >
> > Also, this would mean that we have to rethink our build system.
>
> I would like to see a SVN restructure in the near future, with minimal changes
> to the build system.  Discussion and implementation of changes to FORREST_HOME,
> the bin location, and the build system in general will take *much* longer.

Yes do it in stages.

> >   - Please no flame wars -
> >
> > As I see it we have two options: Ant and Maven.
> >
> > For Ant I am willing to help set it up in a way that it makes it easy to
> > do the above multi-project. I see it as a must that we use a lib
> > download system ALA Maven.

Why is it a *must*?

> > Other than this, I'm really open to any sensible technical comment on
> > this, along with proposals in helping out.
> >

> With my experience and understanding of maven, we would have to write plugins to
> do what we want.  Our software is not a simple standard java package, since we
> do a lot with cocoon, copyless issues, and skin/plugin fetching.  Since this is
> so unique to our project, I don't think maven's standard build system will help
> us much.

I don't know much about Maven, but resonate with Dave's comments.

Are there simple repository systems that we could use
for the "lib download" aspect.
e.g. Apache Depot http://incubator.apache.org/depot/

> Matching a standard directory structure is certainly good.  Not sure about
> automatically downloading jars.  That could be good, but I don't see a real need
> for it; things work fine how they are.
>
> Another alternative to consider is to use a real scripting language instead of
> Ant to do our builds.  In my experience with skin fetching, ant simply isn't
> designed to do the things we want to do.  I am not familiar with python, but I
> think it would be a good candidate.

Is Ant able to call a python script to do certain tasks?

--
David Crossley