forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Docbook as forrest-plugin
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:18:39 GMT
Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:

> Sean Wheller wrote:
> > On Monday 25 October 2004 04:11, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>How would Forrest be able to skin these files if it does not conform to
> >>the internal structure of Forrest. All we could do would be to embed the
> >>output XHTML, we would lose all skinning features. Since the whole point
> >>of Forrest is to produce consistent output from various input formats
> >>wouldn't this method prevent Forrest from achieving it's goals?
> >

> > I don't believe so. We need to devise a way to skin any output that
> originates
> > from the transformations provided by another framework.
>
> <snip/>
>
> > CSS can do the formatting under forrest skinned site, as it does today.
> Again,
> > most projects already have CSS, so it's just a case of "cascading" to
> include
> > the framework specific CSS for formatting of the body. A forrest plugin
> would
> > therefore extended forrest core to provide the configurations and
> > customizations required in order that output from a base framework may be
> > piped into forrest.
> >
> > When XSL's don't exist for the base frameworks the plugin will provide
> XSL's.
> >
> > Does anyone think this can work?
>
> In the past I have looked at the Docbook XSL and decided it is way to
> big and too complex to try and integrate into the skins since many
> people would not be using it. However, life would be much easier now
> with the ability to extend CSS through skinconf.xml and the plugin
> architecture.
>
> At present there is no way of a plugin adding information to a skin. I
> suspect that you would need to be able to do this in order to provide
> full Docbook support. I think I know how we could do it, I'll look at it
> with you if/when you reach this point.
>
> Ross

Do you mean skinconf values per-plugin?

See FOR-144 (including the discussion linked from there) about a new skinconf
format.  I think for output format plugins to work best, we will need to
implement that first.

Making this change will also require a backwards compatibility translator, and
modifying our current skins to use the new skinconf names/values.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal