forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] SVN restructure for subprojects
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:35:14 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > See FOR-233 also.
> >
> > I propose:
> >
> > Create everything (including Forrest itself) as a subdirectory of our
> existing
> > "forrest".
> > It would look like this:
> >
> > forrest/
> >   site/ (unchanged)
> >   dist/ (unchanged)
> >   forrest/ (pushed down)
>
> </nitpicking>
>    It's confusing to have a forrest/forrest directory, why
>    not forrest/core or forrest/forrestcore?
> </nitpicking>

core may get confused with the "src/core" directory, which even end-users have
seen since it's used when they set FORREST_HOME.  Perhaps forrestmain?

> >     trunk/
> >     branches/
> >     tags/
> >   eclipsePlugin/ (moved)
>
> </nitpicking>
>    There is confusion between forrest/plugins and eclipsePlugin, as they
>    both have 'plugin' in it, and there micht also actually be a plugin
>    for eclipse formatted docs in the future
> </nitpicking>

Yes.

> There is a problem though... what will happen with the copyless stuff?

What do you mean?

> I would see this as easier to use and maintain (given cheap copies):
>

> forrest/
>    branches/**
>    tags/**
>    trunk/
>      bin/
>      site/
>      dist/
>      forrestcore/
>      forrestbot/
>      forrestbar/
>      forresteclipse/
>      forrestxxe/
>      forrestplugins/
>       OpenOffice.org/
>       DocBook4.3/

This also lets people check out "everything" by checking out trunk.  One
disadvantage I forgot to mention in my first proposal was that you would have to
check out each trunk seperately.

Did you mean to put site and dist as subdirectories of trunk?  If so, why?  I
think the current setup for those is good.

> Notice the 'bin' directory where users would think of finding it, as a
> single thing to add to the system path variable. the trunk would become
> the new FORREST_HOME
>
> Also, this would mean that we have to rethink our build system.

Yes, but let's keep the two issues seperate.  I will reply in a seperate email.

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://csx.calvin.edu : student org