forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Advice on managing branches
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:24:47 GMT

(http://issues.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=dev@forrest.apache.org&msgNo=14296)

> I am considering whether or not I should merge the changes from trunk
> into the branch. Sean says:
>
> "The diff between trunk and the sitemap-plugins is huge. It seams that
> the branch is drifting far away from the trunk.... This increases the
> likely hood that use of the standard svn switch dev method
> will not work."
>
> However, I am not sure that this is the case. The branch works, although
> Sean is experiencing problems wehn doind a switch, but not when doing a
> co of the branch (we haven't got to the root cause yet of this yet). I
> have been watching commits to trunk, the only changes appear to be skin
> and documentation changes which have no direct affect on the branch.
>
> So, the question I want to ask is this. Should I bother merging the
> changes in trunk into the branch at this stage. I am particularly
> concerned about this because of the number of svn commit messages this
> will generate that will be of no value to devs.
>
> Advice please...
>
> Ross

I would suggest only doing the merging when you take the branch back into the
trunk.  If their are critical changes in the trunk, you can merge that into the
branch.  A minimalistic approach to merging will keep the branch's topic clear
and understandable and will make the final merge easier.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch04s03.html#svn-ch-4-sect-3.2 might
help some.  Notably, SVN doesn't record info about merge operations, so merge
changes must be tracked manually (by checking logs, and putting revision #s in
comments).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal