forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Release plan for 0.6
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:21:52 GMT
Well the current trunk is looking good, so it
it is time to get ready for release. Let us develop
a simple release plan. We already have the procedure
well-documented at etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt

Some items for discussion ...

* We do not need to have separate "binary" and "source"
because 'build dist' packages all the source and adds the
'xml-forrest.jar'. So the release tarballs would be
called apache-forrest-0.6.tar.gz and apache-forrest-0.6.zip

* The version of Cocoon-2.2 that we have in our current
trunk is working fine. We could wait until after the
Cocoon GetTogether because they will fix stacks of
things at the Hackathon. However, it is my view that
this could delay our release as we would need to do
more testing at Forrest.

* We discussed a few months ago that we do not need
to go through the process of "release candidates"
-RC1 -RC2 etc. We can always make a 0.6.1 release.

* How should we test the release tarballs? Each person
can do 'build dist' on their own machine and make sure
that it unpacks correctly and then test. For example
the *.zip on my machine reports problems.

                      ----0----
So here is the start of a plan. Please refine.

2004-10-08
Code freeze. Specify an SVN revision number to work with.
Still can change any documentation.
Send the Vote email (Apache Forrest PMC needs to approve).
Testing period lasts for 7 days.

2004-10-14
The Vote finishes today. Start preparing the release.
Total freeze. Tag. Branch.

2004-10-15
Release. Send announcement email when mirrors are up-to-date.