forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Linkmap as Forrest site generation entry point
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:48:39 GMT

I propose that instead of crawling from index.html we do so from the
linkmap.html page, that is generated from site.xml.

Genesis
-------
All this started with plain-dev: it's a skin that outputs each page in
pure html, without any navigation, menu, header, footer... just the
page. In this way the result can be used as a new version of the site
sources, but all in html (which now Forrest can render).

After the first cut I ran the generation and... it outputted only
index.html. Of course, it does not have navigation!

So I created a linkmap.html match that creates a linkmap TOC page (which
IIRC was also a feature request) and made the crawling start from there.
Now it works.

Why use it always?
------------------
First of all it's not necessarily true that our users want index.html as
the main page (if they do a non-html site), and it creates a clearer
contract WRT what gets generated first by Forrest (all the site.xml links).

Note
----
This *will* be backwards incompatible, as it will not generate the
index.html page if it's not inserted in the navigation or if it's not
linked.

Think about it, then tell me WYT.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -