forrest-dev mailing list archives

From thorsten <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom search engine in skinconf.xml?
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:09:58 GMT
Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would it be much work to open up for specifying a custom search engine
> in skinconf.xml? Something like:
>
>   <search name="Sámediggi" domain="www.samediggi.no"
> provider="samediggi" action="some-action.html" />
>
> where the @action would hold the value of the form @action in the output
> html files.

I thought about something like this as well, but if I am working on that
I want it more extensible! I would like to incooperate more then one
search provider. The result would look a wee bit like e.g.
http://simplythebest.net/scripts/DHTML_scripts/javascripts/javascript_88.html

...but if I will add them all to skinconf.xml it will ugly to edit. I
would like something like searchconf.xml where I can add all providers
(or even populate them from a db).

Especially the @action is quite nasty e.g.
"http://www.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=web&fmt=.&q="
  +searchString

I would use something like
<search-engines>
  <engine id="se1" name="altavista"
action="http://www.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query" query-parameter="q">
   <parameter>
    <pg>q</pg>
   </parameter>
  </engine>
</search-engines>

This way one get rid of the '&' problematic.

WDYT?

Can you open a feature request bug for that?

thorsten