forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject New project sitemap system
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 18:14:16 GMT

With a small but very important code change in Cocoon, I'm happy to
announce that we are finally getting to the end of the copyless struggle :-)

With current Forrest 0.6-dev it's now possible for projects to "plugin"
to our sitemaps without having to copy stuff; this will make possible
hassle-free update fo future Forrest versions.

How does it work?

If a project has a sitemap.xmap file in it's documentation dir, it gets
mounted automatically by Forrest and it becomes part of the processing:
it's a preprocessing step, and it's the first one to handle the request.
Because of this it can serve any file directly instead of Forrest: if it
doesn't want to serve a file, it can simply not match the URL and
Forrest will take care of it as usual.

The cool thing is that if that pipeline serves an xml representation,
Forrest will provide a skinned version of it.

So if the project sitemap matches test.xml, and serves a correct
documentDTD file, then the user will see test.html fully rendered by
Forrest.

Of course, to resolve the directories it's important to use the
'project:' and 'forrest:' variables, to prevent any possible issue in
the future.

This will also enable us to cleany refactor the Forrest internals,
because the mounts will not necessarily take final control of the
processing if a match is found.

:-D

             - verba volant, scripta manent -