forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest user impedence
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:42:54 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 02 Sep 2004, at 10:14, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> It seems you see Forrest as Anakia2.
>
> ATM, frankly: yes. And a good one at that.
>
>> This is exactly what I *don't* want. IMO users see Forrest as too big
>> because they think it's like Anakia, which is wrong.
>
> So what is it? Honestly, I've lost track myself, which must be largely
> because of my lack of time in tracking progress. :-|

Actually you should go back more, rather than seen the latest progress ;-)

Forrest's initial vision was to be a sort of a project portal, not
simply site generation like Anakia (remember the comments about a better
SF?). The CLI mode of operation was deemed to be a necessary
intermediate step. We still have a long way to go, but IMHO the concrete
project plans we have in JIRA about 0.7 and 0.8 lay the foundation for
starting to add features to Forrest.

   http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dreams.html

>> The main problem with the Incubator has been that I've moved them to
>> using a dev version, along with the fact that I have not put Forrest
>> in CVS as Anakia is, which is what they expected.
>
> Also, the fact that they want a tool which only processes updated files.

Correct.

> But as said: these were reflections from the peanut gallery. You're free
> to do with them whatever you want. No harm intended.

I appreciate your comments, it helps me get focused.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -