forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest user impedence
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:14:17 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 02 Sep 2004, at 08:41, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Change the docs - remembering the format -, validate, run Forrest -
>> and which version? -, copy over the built docs, commit to CVS, log on
>> the shell and update from CVS...
>
>  From the peanut gallery: I would focus on a single input format and
> treat other formats just as binaries. That would be something (X)HTML-
> or xdocs-like - *not* the cwiki format. Provide people with a clear
> migration path, but don't carry the burden of backwards-compatibility
> for too many releases. Don't release too often, but make it x.0
> releases. Make sure Forrest users don't know that Cocoon is underneath.
> Throw away the live webapp idea. Slim down Cocoon to its bare essentials.

It seems you see Forrest as Anakia2. This is exactly what I *don't*
want. IMO users see Forrest as too big because they think it's like
Anakia, which is wrong.

>> IMHO an ideal setting would not have the users generate the site. This
>> means having a live Cocoon webapp installed or having the ForrestBot
>> run. In both cases, SourceForge users would not be able to benefit
>> from this.
>
> I'm convinced more tools & trickery won't help - quite the contrary.
>
>> Damn.
>
> Look at Gump. Sometimes, it's better to not add to something, but tear
> things down and provide yourself with the freedom of a blank sheet of
> paper.
>
> Anyway, these are my ideas when looking at the Incubator story. One must
> be careful not to push people towards a tool which can't deliver, hoping
> that "if they'll come, it will get built". Anakia is very small and
> focussed, and delivers. It delivers less than what Forrest is capable
> of, but people don't mind since it just works. "maven site": same story.

The main problem with the Incubator has been that I've moved them to
using a dev version, along with the fact that I have not put Forrest in
CVS as Anakia is, which is what they expected.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -