forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Forrest user impedence
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 06:41:38 GMT

I feel that the Incubator 'incident' has definately highlighted me a
failing for Forrest: it's at least one step too complicated to use.

Look at the Forrest sites *I* want to update: Depot, Incubator,
Xml.Apache, Krysalis. They are all stale mainly because the developers
and *I* feel it a step too much to do it. No wonder other users also
feel this way.

Change the docs - remembering the format -, validate, run Forrest - and
which version? -, copy over the built docs, commit to CVS, log on the
shell and update from CVS...

...compare this with just an update of the docs written in html and
their commit to CVS: unbelievably simpler.

IMHO an ideal setting would not have the users generate the site. This
means having a live Cocoon webapp installed or having the ForrestBot
run. In both cases, SourceForge users would not be able to benefit from
this.

Damn.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -