forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Java1.4 as minimum requirement
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:55:19 GMT
On Oct 1, 2004, at 6:16 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:
>> Given that JDK1.5 is out, I propose that we clearly ask JRE1.4 as a
>> minimum base requirement for Forrest. This should also clear some
>> problems that users were having with IBM JDK 1.3.
>>
>> What about also deciding that we will always ask our users to be at
>> least one point release behind the latest Java Platform?
>
> I use forrest regularly with jdk1.3 at work and it is fine.  The only
> problems
> I've encountered were making sure upgraded jars were compiled with
> jdk1.3.  I
> think it would be ok to move the requirement to 1.4 but only if we
> have a good
> reason to abandon 1.3.  The release of Java 5.0 isn't a reason why
> forrest
> should abandon 1.3

I concur with Dave Brondsema on this. Unless there is a significant
reason to move away from jdk1.3 (other than just being one release
behind the latest and greatest), you may lose potential users (and
developers) of forrest.

BRIEF ANECDOTE
I have a client running a system which cannot be upgraded to JDK 1.4
(AIX 4.3 running IBM Java 1.3--the latest, and probably last release
for AIX 4.3). They don't use /forrest/ in their application, but they
do use FOP, which is also contemplating such a change with their 1.0
release. This is unfortunate, as they won't be able to benefit from the
improvements released in fop-1.0. The current requirement for FOP is
'officially' JDK 1.2 (although I'm not convinced you don't actually
need JDK 1.3).

IMO, unless there is a real, tangible reason for changing the
requirements, you may get more 'mileage' out of supporting an older
version of the JDK (i.e., more consumers of Forrest).

Web Maestro Clay