forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Search engines
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:13:20 GMT
thorsten wrote:
> I would like to implement a "better" search engine script.
>
> The script should be:
> a) page specific
> b) extensible

<snip/>

> Each of this topics would have different search provider.
> e.g. open source

<snip/>

> b) The user should be able to extend the standard search engines by
> adding the neccessary information into a xml file. We would just add
> some examples that we actually need for our site.
>
> *How it should work*
> We need the following components:
> I) site.xml - Here we can add the hooks for each site which search
> engine should be used. e.g.
> <todo label="Todo" href="todo.html" description="Todo List"
> searchType="os" searchEngine="all"/>
> This would offer the *all* search engines from the categorie *os*.
> <todo label="Todo" href="todo.html" description="Todo List"
> searchType="os" searchEngine="marc, eyebrowse"/>
> This would offer the marc and the eyebrowse search engines from the
> categorie *os*.

So, what does the user see? Is it a text box for search terms and a drop
down box with options for each of the available engines?

> I hope you got the idea and WDYT?

I like the sound of this. One of the things I really like about the
eclipse site is that you can search on a variety of "levels". That is
you can search the whole site, just the docs, just the API's, just
mailing lists, specific mailing list etc. (see
http://www.eclipse.org/search/search.cgi). It seems you are suggesting
the same kind of idea but with the added benefit of being able to
customise the options in each section of the site, so in the developer
section we default to searching the API (for example).

I can see this going further in that a site could use Mozilla search
plugins (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html). Have you considered
using the Mozilla format? (docs are at
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/deepdocs.html)

Ross