forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest Plugins
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:37:36 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

<snip what="does this plugins idea work?"/>

> Make a sitemap-plugins branch from current trunk and commit there.

Well the changes are really pretty trivial, just a couple of sitemap
additions and a modified version of the skin install files.
Nevertheless, I have created a branch so as not to interfere with the
0.6 release. I don't think that this feature should be included until
after 0.6 is out the door.

Furthermore, we can use the branch to strip the core of Forrest down to
its basic functionality by moving stuff like the Open Office integration
into a plugin.

The current status of the branch is that everything works except the
final stage of installation, which is the adding of the necessary
matcher to the plugins.xmap file. For now the there is only one plugin,
the IMS Manifest plugin. The required matcher for this is already in
plugins.xmap.

I will shortly commit a test site that shows the IMS Manifest file in
use. Right now I need to reboot my machine it seems to be dying on me.

>> FIXME
>> Is there anyway of having the plugins sitemap just default to Forrests
>> sitemap behaviour if imsmanifest.xml is not present without the need
>> to duplicate code from the original sitemap.xmap file. In other words
>> can we have <map:match pattern="abs-menulinks"> that only gets
>> processed if the imsmanifest.xml file is present?
>

> It's possible, but I would have to try it on a real case, as I'm not
> sure OTOMH what approach will work. If all simple things fail, we can
> make a ResourceExistsMatcher.

Now we have the branch we can look at this in good time.

(I never worked with Branches before, so I hope I have done everything
correctly.)

>> How is a Plugin Installed?
>>
>> Installed plugins are managed by the file src/plugings/sitemap.xmap
>> (FIXME: should this be src/context/plugins/sitemap.xmap?).
>

> I would prefer not put anything in the src directory.
>
> Maybe simply forrest/plugins?

Yes, I agree. I was thinking that since the plugins will have src files
they should be in source, but this is about where they are installed,
not where they are developed. I have gone with forrest/plugins.

Ross