forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest plugins?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:19:23 GMT
I believe the new sitemap extension mechanism can be utilised to enable
a whole new level of customisation within Forrest. Perhaps, eventually,
moving to a plugin system whereby functionality can be added simply by
simply install the OpenOffice plugin.

Let me give a larger use case though:

I have been using/developing a customised version of Forrest for some
time. It uses the underlying Forrest engine to generate documentation
from Learning Objects. All the customisations are contained in either
what we call skins, for example displaying slides, or in the *.xmap
files, for example generating site.xml and tabs.xml from an IMS Manifest
(a standard for defining Content Packages).

I would like to distribute this customisation as a "skin", but it is
more than a skin, it has custom xmaps as well. So this has got me
thinking that since many of my customisations do not belong in the core
of Forrest, but would be useful in other environments shouldn't I be
able to package this functionality in a plugin?

So, my question is, do we want to consider moving towards such a plugin
system or is this moving too far away from the stated goals of the
Forrest project? (obviously I am thinking of post 0.6)

Ross