forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Linkmap as Forrest site generation entry point
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:51:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I propose that instead of crawling from index.html we do so from the
> linkmap.html page, that is generated from site.xml.
>
> Genesis
> -------
> All this started with plain-dev: it's a skin that outputs each page in
> pure html, without any navigation, menu, header, footer... just the
> page. In this way the result can be used as a new version of the site
> sources, but all in html (which now Forrest can render).
>
> After the first cut I ran the generation and... it outputted only
> index.html. Of course, it does not have navigation!
>
> So I created a linkmap.html match that creates a linkmap TOC page (which
> IIRC was also a feature request) and made the crawling start from there.
> Now it works.
>
> Why use it always?
> ------------------
> First of all it's not necessarily true that our users want index.html as
> the main page (if they do a non-html site), and it creates a clearer
> contract WRT what gets generated first by Forrest (all the site.xml links).
>
> Note
> ----
> This *will* be backwards incompatible, as it will not generate the
> index.html page if it's not inserted in the navigation or if it's not
> linked.
>
> Think about it, then tell me WYT.

As long as we're still version < 1.0, I'm +1 for anything good even if
it breaks backwards compatibility.  And this one looks like 2 good
things (single-page plain html will be useful for the test suite).

Will `forrest -Dproject.start-uri=myfile.html` still work?  If so, the
easy workaround compatibility is to put project.start-uri=index.html in
the project's forrest.properties.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming