forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Linkmap as Forrest site generation entry point
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:48:43 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I propose that instead of crawling from index.html we do so from the
> linkmap.html page, that is generated from site.xml.
 >
> Genesis
> -------
> All this started with plain-dev: it's a skin that outputs each page in
> pure html, without any navigation, menu, header, footer... just the
> page. In this way the result can be used as a new version of the site
> sources, but all in html (which now Forrest can render).

I have a use case for this, I need to generate HTML pages without the
navigation for inclusion in Learning Objects that are then imported into
Virtual Learning Environments (which provide the navigation). I have
hacked a solution that generates a uris.txt file from the
imsmanifest.xml file (the Content Package equivalent of site.xml and
tabs.xml). However, this is done in the ant build script not within
Forrest itself.

I think that this proposal of using linkmap.html is much better than my
ugly hack and would enable me to remove another of the "extensions" I
have had to build - got to be a good sign for the Forrest.

I'm +1 for this.

Ross