forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: latest forrest can't build incubator site
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:24:50 GMT

yes, the problem appears to have been my ibm 1.3 jdk was too ancient
for forrest to run properly.  replacing it with sun's 1.4.2_05
seems to  have fixed the mysterious exceptions.  since it *was*
apparently due to a too-old jre, i ask that either the build
for forrest itself, or the script used when actually *using* forrest,
whichever/both is appropriate, be enhanced to flag a too-old jre.

David Crossley wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>> > i see that the Derby page is a mess.
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/derby.html
>>
>> > This is because you are using the recent Forrest
>> > but have not updated the configuration files.
>>
>> I have committed your changes to CVS.
>
> Good on you, Noel.

that makes it better.. but it does *not* restore the appearance
we had/{want?}.  observe the difference between what we have/want:

http://cvs.apache.org/~coar/i.a.o-before.png

and what the above change gives us:

http://cvs.apache.org/~coar/i.a.o-after.png

specifically:

1. the tab (shape,font,size,highlighting} is substantially different.
2. the print/pdf icons in the upper right have been shrunken to things
   barely recognisable.
3. the text in the 'search' box has changed from white to black,
   reducing readability.
4. worst of all, the body has changed so that it now has a toc at the
   beginning, pushing the meat of the page down.

** argh.  worse and worse.  i just uploaded the changed pages to
** the web site, since they were better than the last set -- but apparently
** there are additional files that need to go up to define the styles.
** because http://incubator.apache.org/projects/derby.html, which i
** just uploaded from my own build, and which should look like
** http://cvs.apache.org/~coar/i.a.o-after.png , instead looks like it
** did before noel applied david's changes.  evidently the changes
** are needed for more than just the build; some of their output in
** addition to the target html page is needed as well.  which leads
** me to be concerned that making that change, which should make the
** derby page look like the 'after' picture, will break *other* pages
** already on the site.

i really appreciate the improvement, but what do we need to do to regain
our original look-and-feel?

i'm not sure i entirely buy the 'was built with 0.5.1' argument, since
ian holsman supposedly built the looked-right derby page on his own machine
using 0.6-dev, with no skin/config changes, and then uploaded it.

i'm really sorry if i sound snarky and cranky; it's just that i want
to *update the page and move on*, not spend a lot of time futzing
around with having to update/upgrade various configurations and packages
for days, only to *still* not have what i should have.

this is not a slam against forrest by any means; i love forrest's potential.
if anything, it's a criticism of the choice to use it for the i.a.o site,
which is maintained largely by forrest non-users.  forrest is a moderately
complex beast, and is still evolving.  someone (presumably whomever was
originally so gung-ho for forrest that it set up/converted the i.a.o site
to use it) should track the changes to forrest that are going to affect our
use of it, and make appropriate modifications to the i.a.o site.  i don't
think it's unreasonable for everyone updating the i.a.o site to know how to
*use* forrest (update-pages-and-go), but i *do* think it's a bit over the top
to expect them to know how to configure it and know what changes to make
to track forrest's own evolution.

moving on to how-to questions concerning the cwiki format:

1. is there any way to create a prominent box for important notes?
2. is there any way to include [url] and ''italic'' inside a table?
   (those seem to end the table def)
3. how does one signal bold text?
- --
#ken	P-)}