forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Fabio Rinaldi" <rina...@ifi.unizh.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest user impedence
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:04:32 GMT

David Crossley writes:
 > Steven Noels wrote:
 > >
 > >  From the peanut gallery: I would focus on a single input format and
 > > treat other formats just as binaries. That would be something (X)HTML-
 > > or xdocs-like - *not* the cwiki format.
 >
 > I too worry about having too many input formats,
 > especially the really loose ones like *wiki and
 > the half-supported ones like our docbook subset.

I personally find the support of multiple input formats a very nice
feature of Forrest. Clearly, users need to be aware of the fact that
there are some limits in their functionality, but then, nobody is
forced to actually use them. Users who do not wish to use wiki or
docbook can stick to the Forrest XML format.

In particular, I find wiki a very useful "entry" format. E.g. I want
to quickly add a new page to my site out of some notes I took during
the day: then wiki is perfect for this purpose, as I do not need to
bother with XML markup. Later, if I want to expand that page, I can
either keep it in wiki, or replace it with the generated XML (if I
want to do more sophisticated things).

Btw, as previously mentioned, I spent some time trying to add support
for "MoinMoin" wiki. I can post what I have so far, if there is any
interest.

Best,
Fabio