forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-283) Minimal MoinMoin
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:44:00 GMT
Fabio Rinaldi wrote:
>  > The following comment has been added to this issue:
>  >
>  >      Author: David Crossley
>  > We would need a demonstration document in the 'forrest seed' site.
>
> You could possibly use the following, which was my "reference" for development:
>
> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoin_2fTextFormatting?action=raw
>
> But users should be warned that many features are not yet supported.

The latter is the document that we need. They must be informed
about what we do support or alternatively what we don't support.
The "do support" is probably easier via a demo document.

>  > I "tested" it on the wiki.apache.org/cocooon/ page. These additional issues ...
>  >
>  > * #pragma
>  >
>  > * empty line as first line
>  >
>  > * link syntax: [wiki:ApacheGeneral/ Apache Wiki]
>  >
>  > * if paragraphs are first (i.e. no section heading to start) then subsequent paragraphs
are rolled into one.

> Actually, the second and fourth problems that you report (empty lines
> and initial paragraphs) are a problem also for the JSPwiki
> format. They are easy to solve (a little patch is attached),

Thanks. We needs those parsers to be more robust.

> however I
> am not completely convinced  that they should be considered
> "problems". I mean, a well-formed document should not have empty
> spaces or initial paragraphs before the beginning of any
> section. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

The problem stems from the lack of a validating parser for
wiki formats. With xml it is easy, we can either insist on
valid xml, or automatically tidy it, or let the developer
encounter a more explicit xml error message.

If the wiki documents are not "well-formed" (which certainly
does happen) then poor Forrest throws an error message
which is very cryptic.

> When I have some time, I will produce a modified version of the
> moinmoinwiki parser, which fixes these two problems (and possibly a
> few more).

That would be great.

> Besides, the documentation for the default JSPWiki needs a couple of  warnings.

I will add notes to the docs.

If you see other deficiencies, please send a patch for the docs.

> 1. the "definition" syntax (;term:ex) is not supported
>
> 2. the syntax "[[link]" to have "link" rendered as text rather than as
> a link is not treated correctly. It is rendered as "[[link]" rather
> than "[link]".

Someone tried to fix that once before.

> These are minor problems, which were also present in the original version
> of the wiki parser, and I have not had time to fix yet.
>
> Best,
> Fabio

<snipped inline diff/>

Applied your patch. Please use 'svn diff' to prepare patches.

Thanks Fabio, for your work on this capability.

--
David Crossley