forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Linkmap as Forrest site generation entry point
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:15:07 GMT
Quoting Clay Leeds <cleeds@medata.com>:

> David Crossley said:
> > Clay Leeds wrote:

> >> Does this mean one could process a single page? If so, sounds nice. I
> >> don't think it would work for adding a new page to a web site (the
> >> other pages wouldn't have a link to this file), but for modifying a
> >> page, that might be nifty! If that's not what this is for, then... what
> >> is the benefit and... uh... Never mind!
> >>
> >> Web Maestro Clay
> >
> > I cannot quite parse you there Clay.
> > Using the Cocoon cli.xconf files you can add extra
> > files for processing. For an example with the extra
> > "mirrors.html" See the ./forrest.properties file which
> > is for Forrest's own site documentation.
> >
> > --
> > David Crossley
>
> Sorry to confuse... I had just never seen nor used the command `forrest
> -Dproject.start-uri=myfile.html` before. I don't know what it's for.
> Having seen it, it *looks* like it is a way to process a single file
> (although it ay be more like begin a file number 15, and skip 1-14 or some
> such--I don't know what it's for, so I tend to make up what I think it's
> for... I tried to rtfm but couldn't find anything...).
>
> I guess my main question is:
>
> What does `forrest -Dproject.start-uri=myfile.html` do?
>
> But that got me to think, "Wouldn't it be nice if forrest could process a
> single changed file?
>
> Hope that clear it up!
>
> Web Maestro Clay

The way files are generated is that the Cocoon CLI (command line interface) acts
like a web crawler.  It starts at ${project.start-uri} and follows all the links
it gets (by this time, the linkrewriting has happened so site: and ext: links
are translated to what they appear as in HTML).  AFAIK, there is no pattern in
the order of links followed.  If you don't want to follow links (i.e., generate
just the ${project.start-uri} page and no others), you have to override
cli.xconf and set follow-links="false" in it.  I don't think there is a way to
set that follow-links parameter on the commandline.

Note that generating a single page like this still takes a long time because
there all the normal forrest startup stuff still happens (including copying raw
files).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal