forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest user impedence
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2004 05:49:16 GMT
Fabio Rinaldi wrote:
> David Crossley writes:
>  > Steven Noels wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  From the peanut gallery: I would focus on a single input format and
>  > > treat other formats just as binaries. That would be something (X)HTML-
>  > > or xdocs-like - *not* the cwiki format.
>  >
>  > I too worry about having too many input formats,
>  > especially the really loose ones like *wiki and
>  > the half-supported ones like our docbook subset.
> I personally find the support of multiple input formats a very nice
> feature of Forrest. Clearly, users need to be aware of the fact that
> there are some limits in their functionality, ...

This is the trouble - they are not aware or they forget
that there are limitations, and Forrest is then blamed.

> ...but then, nobody is
> forced to actually use them. Users who do not wish to use wiki or
> docbook can stick to the Forrest XML format.
> In particular, I find wiki a very useful "entry" format. E.g. I want
> to quickly add a new page to my site out of some notes I took during
> the day: then wiki is perfect for this purpose, as I do not need to
> bother with XML markup.

Why is xml difficult? There are plenty of good editors.

Sure. We will continue to provide various input formats.

Is there a way to validate *wiki documents? I know that Chaperon
will issue an error in some cases, but that is hard to interpret.

> Later, if I want to expand that page, I can
> either keep it in wiki, or replace it with the generated XML (if I
> want to do more sophisticated things).
> Btw, as previously mentioned, I spent some time trying to add support
> for "MoinMoin" wiki. I can post what I have so far, if there is any
> interest.
> Best,
> Fabio

View raw message