forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: fork in doc-v20?
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:53:20 GMT
Rick Tessner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > > "Zap jump and fork, and rename 'link' to 'a' for better HTMLness" was done
> > > to the v20 DTD.  But <a> doesn't support the target attribute.  Shouldn't
> > > it so the capabilities of fork and zap aren't lost?
> >
> > We are moving toward XHTML2 for our intermediate format
> > and this removal of jump and fork is one step closer.
> > It was decided to do this a long time ago.
> >
> > I gather from google that the ability to pop-up new windows
> > is frowned upon. It should be up to the user to right-click
> > if they want it.
> >
> > In my opinion, no, we should not add a workaround. That would
> > just make it harder to move to XHTML2.
> >
> > A related thing that i mean to ask. There was the following
> > comment which i removed because it didn't make sense to me.
> > Would someone explain more and we can add the hint back again.
> > We could provide an example in the "seed site".
> >
> >  "...If desired, that functionality can be handled
> >   via the use of the class attribute on <a>."
>
> Hi all,
>
> The pop-up functionality can be added "via the use of the class
> attribute on <a>" by defining a link as, for example,
>
>         <a class="jump" href="http://forrest.apache.org">Forrest</a>
>
> and then in the common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl, a template could be
> defined as follows:
>
>         <xsl:template match="a[@class='jump']">
>             <xsl:apply-templates/>
>           </a>
>         </xsl:template>
>
> This would then give the same functionality in doc-v20 that the <jump>
> element gives in doc-v13.
>
> Hope this helps,

It should. I have tried to add this in various ways
to no avail. I must be missing something. It seems that
the <a> element is being handled somewhere else and
being overwritten or this is never matching or something.
I will persist, but if anyone has any other clues,
then please speak up.

--
David Crossley