forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Revert crust to using forrest-dev
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:02:39 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> In changing the skins I had not thought that some users do not always
> update the whole site, but parts of it.

Are you talking about the Incubator stuff? I think that
is because they have updated one page but not added the
supporting CSS files, so they have a half-baked mix.

This will always be an issue and there is nothing that
we can do. If they had most of their site with the "crust"
skin, then added one page with the "pelt" skin then they
would have the same problem.

> Besides, the style changes seem
> to look like bugs for the user.

People have reactions when they see sudden change.

> Therefore, I propose that we resurrect the defunct skins for another
> release cycle; we will still switch our site to pelt as decided, and use
> that in the seed.
>
> To make our users switch to pelt, we will put a notice in the 'forrest'
> calls saying that the skin being used is deprecated and lacks features,
> urging to update the entire site to pelt ASAP, as it will forcibly
> substitute forrest-dev in the next release.
>
> Basically we are deferring of a month the forced skin update for our
> users, while informing them of the new features of pelt.
>
> WDOT?

I am very reluctant to go back. Lets see what others think.

Should we just force everybody to use "pelt" now? We know
that it or its successor is where we want to be.

--
David Crossley