forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Schaub" <>
Subject Improving Forrest Error Reporting
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:06:12 GMT
I discovered Forrest this summer and used it to create a website for an
open-source project. I love a lot of things about it. But...

I would love to see better error reporting. Can we get a line number in the
error messages when forrest encounters an error in a source file in the
xdocs folder?

I know that many people probably use validating editors and create source
documents using the document-vxx format, and thus avoid forrest errors
entirely. But if you like to use the wiki format (wonderful for simple
documents), and you happen to violate one of the (rather picky) rules (ex. a
blank line that happens to have a space in it), you get a cryptic error
message with no line number. That makes writing wiki documents for forrest a
"cross your fingers and hope" proposition, and if you mess up, you're
reduced to deleting sections of the document until it works, then adding
pieces back in until it fails, etc. I would like to see the chaperon parser
made a little more forgiving, but if not, at least tell me where in the
source file the problem occurred!

Imagine a compiler that didn't provide line numbers in its error messages...

Stephen Schaub

P.S. Who administers the mailing list archives on The search function does not include 2004
messages in its results.

View raw message